Also known as augmentation mammoplasty, breast enlargement or breast implants
Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in rare cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.
When To Consider A Breast Augmentation
- If you want a better proportioned or more appealing figure
- If you wish your clothes fit better
- When pregnancy, weight loss or aging has affected the size and shape of your breasts
- To restore symmetry if one of your breasts is smaller than the other
Who Is A Good Candidate?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider breast augmentation
- Age 18 to 65
- Non smoker
- You believe your breasts are too small for your body.
- You feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting or low-cut tops.
- Clothes that fit your hips are too large at the bust line.
- Your breasts have become smaller or less firm after you’ve had children.
- Your breasts have become smaller due to weight loss.
- One of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other.
Breast Implant Choices
There’s never been a better time to have breast augmentation, as today you have more choices than ever to help you customize your new look. Whether you’d like
more dramatic curves or a modest boost in cleavage, there’s an option for you. Here are some choices you can expect Dr. Maningas to go over during your consultation process in Joplin, MO or Bella Vista, AR:
- Filling type: Saline, Silicone Gel, or Highly Cohesive Silicone “Gummy Bear” Implants. Neither is “best,” but there are some differences in cost, feel, and incision requirements that you need to consider.
- Shape: Saline & Silicone Gel implants are typically round, while gummy bear implants come in shaped and round options. Round implants will typically achieve a fuller upper pole (the top portion of your breast), while shaped implants lend a gently sloping look to your breast profile. Both can look very natural.
- Profile: Your profile shape will be based on your existing proportions and your goals. Generally, patients with a more petite frame will require a higher profile implant to achieve the desired size increase while ensuring the implants are not too wide at the base. Dr. Maningas will select the best profile to meet your desired goals based on the size you select during your fitting process.
- Size: Breast implants range in size from about 150cc to 800cc or larger. Some patients require a different sized breast implant for each breast; this helps to achieve the best possible symmetry.
Recovery & Downtime
Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure, typically performed using general anesthesia. You can expect to walk around on your own a few hours after surgery, and most patients feel up to leaving the house within two or three days. You may feel sore the first week or so, and you will need to limit strenuous exercise for about 2-4 weeks. You can expect anywhere from 3-10 days of downtime and lifting restrictions for 1-6 weeks depending on implant placement. You will be asked to wear a supportive surgical bra or sports bra for a certain period of time after breast augmentation—it is crucial to follow your instructions to ensure you heal optimally.
If your breast implants are placed partially beneath the pectoral muscle—the preferred method in most cases—your breasts may seem to sit high on the chest at first and even up to 3 or 4 months based on your anatomy. This is normal, and your implants will settle into their optimal position over the next several months, with final results typically after 6+ months.
Once you have your breast implants, you’ll want to keep the following in mind:
- It’s safe to have mammograms with breast implants, so be sure to maintain regular screening as prescribed by your doctor.
- For silicone implants, it is recommended that patients undergo periodic monitoring (via mammogram, ultrasound or MRI) to screen for ruptures, which are rare.
- Future pregnancies or weight fluctuations may affect your results, and a secondary surgery may be needed to correct any changes you are unhappy with over time.
- Nothing can stop the normal aging process; over time, breast tissue will change. You can help prevent unnecessary sagging by wearing a bra with adequate support for your activity level.
How Much Does It Cost?
Breast augmentation at Maningas Cosmetic Surgery begins at $5,500 for silicone implants and $5,000 for saline implants.. Your quote will include the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia costs, the facility fee for the operating room, the implants post-op garments, your patient care bag and all routine follow-up visits.